Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Defend the cause of the Fatherless

I write this blog from the International Concourse at the Bush Intercontinental Airport in Houston.  I look around and see a representation of many cultures.  As I look around, I cannot help but think about a woman who is making the hard choice to give up her daughter for adoption.  I also cannot help but be heartbroken for a little girl who is sitting in an orphanage crying silent tears in China. 

When my wife and I talked about the prospect of adoption a couple of years ago, we just thought it was us making this decision.  Well, God confirmed our call to adopt one day at CHC.  It is a long story, but the short version is that we missed church for a quiet a few Sundays in a row.  Well, when we finally made it back to church we noticed there was a bunch, and I do mean a bunch, of kids from various countries running around by the “front porch.”  We were excited to see these little ones and we quickly grabbed a front row seat in anticipation of their special program.  As the “International Orphan Choir” (I think that was their name) performed, our attention was stolen by this precious little Asian girl.  We wept the entire service and knew at that moment that we were going to adopt. 

It has taken us a little while to get to where we are in the process, but watching Tony and Tobie Pillstrom walk through this process was amazing and life changing for us.  When we stood in the lobby of Memphis International Airport and greeted Lynleigh, it made my heart melt.  The process of watching Lynleigh adapt to her “forever family” has increased our desire and excitement as we move toward the end of our home study and get ready to tackle the incredible task of the dossier.

Myke and April Satcher

No comments:

Post a Comment