Tuesday, August 14, 2012

She's Got the Look

There’s a look that people have when God grips their hearts for the orphan.  A look that mirrors the passion in the depths of their souls.  A look that seems to zero in on that passion in my own heart.  A look that knows no turning back.  A look that reflects the Father’s heart for the fatherless.

4theVoiceless exists today because I saw that look in my friend Tobie.  I’ll never forget that.

I saw the look in my friend Stephanie when God called her to leave her baby girl (in very capable hands – but this is her FIRST child) to go love on the orphans in Haiti.  When I say baby girl, I don’t mean it in the pet name sort of way.  Charlie turned FIVE MONTHS OLD while the team Stephanie was a part of was in Haiti.

Now, let me tell you about Stephanie.  When she first came to our small group about two-and-a-half years ago, I thought she was going to break and run when we went around in a circle introducing ourselves.  (I’m pretty sure her husband Jacob still has nail marks in his arm from that night.)  So, yeah, she’s shy.  But lurking not too far beneath the surface is a steely determination that belies the shy exterior.  When she makes up her mind to do something, you can consider it done…and done well.  She’ll get that look.

That look usually comes from God’s Spirit being so heavy on Stephanie that she can’t help but say yes to His call.  When she says yes, it’s with no turning back.  I saw it when she decided to come back to small group.  I saw it when she first began to get serious about studying her Bible.  I saw it when she started to serve outside of her own context in our own area.  I saw it when she decided to go to Haiti.  I saw it when she trusted God to quickly provide the money for her trip.  And I certainly saw it when she returned.



4theVoiceless as a ministry is in its infancy.  We’ve never faced a financial need like the one that the House of Abraham faces right now in Jacmel, Haiti.  The needs we have met have been measured by twenties and fifties, not tens of thousands.  We knew from the beginning that the needs would be overwhelming and that we couldn't meet even a fraction of them.  But this one -- we feel like God has called on us to lead the way for a new, permanent home for the House of Abraham.

Hope for Haiti seeks to raise $35,000 to provide a permanent home for the House of Abraham’s orphans and house parents through the sales of $10 paracord bracelets.  Physically, it seems impossible; that's about 4,000 bracelets after you figure in expenses.  But when a group of people gathered at my house last week to learn how to make the bracelets, I looked around the table and was met by “the look.”  Stephanie and Jacob were there.  So was another family who went on the Haiti trip.  So were a few more who don’t see this cause as impossible.  Already, groups from Oklahoma to Texas to Mississippi to North Carolina have gotten on board to help.  Jesus Himself said that with God, all things are possible (Matt. 19:26).  We believe that.

When it comes to pursuing God’s commands to care for the fatherless, we could all use that determination that comes from tying the need that we see to God’s heart for the orphan and His limitless supply of resources.  The look of childlike faith.  Stephanie – she’s got the look.  Do you?

$35,000 for a home for orphans in Haiti?  Not impossible.  Let’s do this.

Thanks for reading,
Al

1 comment:

  1. Great article....great servant .... Incredible God!!!



    Loretta

    ReplyDelete