Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Adoption Stories: The China Connection


The 4theVoiceless adoption cookbook, Flavors of Forever Families, released this past Sunday.  As we have stated in various ways in previous posts, the goal of the cookbook is three-fold:
  • To raise awareness (and ultimately, funds) for adoption.  The part of this book that sets it apart from other cookbooks is the adoption stories from so many angles.
  • To provide a tool for people to share their faith.  What God does through His adoption into His family of those who place their faith in Jesus Christ reflects what lengths he is willing to go to redeem fallen man.  God's adoption of us is reflected in so many ways in the adoption of children into families.
  • To provide some really good recipes.  Many are recipes you could find in other cookbooks, but I guarantee you that we have some unique ones, too!

Over the last couple of weeks, we have shared parts of some of the stories in the cookbook:
Today, I want to share parts of the stories of the Kobes, the Pillstroms, and the Satchers.  Like the Paynes' story that we shared earlier, all of their stories involve adoption from China.

The Kobe Family: The Family That God Built


God really started our journey to China long before WE started our journey to China.   For eight precious months, He allowed us the privilege of being parents to our sweet little daughter Helen.  Born to us with a rare chromosome disorder, she was taken home to Heaven, but she left in us the desire to parent again.  This seed was planted and then nurtured through friends who had adopted  from China....

Our wait was the longest 11 months I have ever experienced, but once again, God's timing is wise.  I think it gave us additional time to work through our grief over Helen (She died June 2002.).  It gave me time to wallpaper and re-wallpaper –  never quite pleased with the results –  the room that was to be Lillian's.  It gave us months to read about hundreds of names, only to eventually turn back to family names....

Our story is not finished.  This year, God has opened a door for us...

The Pillstrom Family: Made in China, Loved in America


Our story starts with a ten-year-old little girl with big dreams.  I will never forget Christmas 1984.  The toy of the year was the Cabbage Patch Kid.  That was the only thing I asked for, and apparently so did every other little girl in America.  I didn't get a CPK that year, but what I received was the start of my heart for orphans.  My parents had a family friend hand make me an “adoption doll.”  She was hand-painted with green eyes and brown hair, just like me, and she was beautiful.  I'd never heard the word adoption until that day, but I was hooked!  Several years and about 10 Cabbage Patch Kids (of all colors) later,  I knew that one day I would adopt a child.

Fast forward 20 years.  Tony and I were married with one son and a child on the way.  We knew we were having another boy, but what we didn't know was God's big plan for our family.  Kaden was born in 2006 with a bi-lateral cleft lip.  No one that we knew of  in either of our families had ever been born with a cleft.  Tony and I knew then that God had something big planned for us....


(Tobie wrote a post for this blog several months ago that tells more of their story.  You can also follow their story on her blog.)

The Satchers: From an Orphanage to Our Home


Our adoption story really began many years ago for me personally.  I have a neurological condition, which contains a genetic mutation, that makes it 50% likely that any biological children would also be born with this condition.  With the difficulties I have faced throughout my life, I did not want to put someone else through my pain.  After marriage, my wife and I discussed this possibility, and we decided to take the risk and have a biological child.  Shortly after Arabella was born, I began to notice through some physical signs that she most likely had NF1 also.  This burdened my heart greatly because I know the difficult journey she has ahead of her.  After Arabella was diagnosed with NF1, April told me she wanted to talk about adoption for our next child....

In life, road blocks occur, and just after we decided to look into international adoption, my father died suddenly.  This sent my life into a whirlwind and put our adoption on hold....


At the time that I am writing this, we are still a family in process.  We are trusting God to provide us with the current expenses for the adoption, and we trust that we will be matched with the perfect little Chinese girl who will complete our family… for now.

(Michael wrote a post for this blog several months ago that gives some background of their story.  You can also follow his family's story on their blog or Facebook page.)

Read the rest of these remarkable adoption stories in Flavors of Forever Families: A Collection of Recipes and Redemption Stories, available here online, at the CHC offices during regular business hours, and at CHC Southaven and CHC Hernando on Sunday mornings and Wednesday nights until Christmas. 

Thanks for reading.

4theVoiceless,
Al

1 comment:

  1. I was wondering if ya'll still have any cookbooks available? My family is on the waiting list for a referral for Ethiopian adoption. My sister, in particular has been saving up do adopt when she gets married some day. I was so excited to find your cookbook and see that your ministry and our family has so much in common...a love for the Lord and a love for children in need of a family! I really wanted to buy this cookbook for my sister for Christmas...do you have any available? Thank you SO much! I live in WA. USA Blessings, Lydia

    ReplyDelete