Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Hopelessness: A Powerful Motivator


I have looked forward to reading Orphan Justice since I met Johnny Carr and his co-author, Laura Captari, at the Together for Adoption conference in Atlanta.  I am privileged to be reading a copy in advance of its March 1 release date.

 “…I have developed a new understanding of the desperation that hopelessness brings.”

         --Johnny Carr, from the forthcoming book Orphan Justice


I wrote last week on this blog about the power of hope.  Then, last night I read the above quote that put hope – in this case, the lack of it – squarely in the context of orphan care.  In the context of human trafficking.  In the context of AIDS.  In the context of abandonment.  In the context of disease, poverty, abuse, and a myriad of other “social ills and stigmas.”

Just in the first couple of chapters of Orphan Justice, I have found myself nodding in agreement with Johnny Carr’s journey to advocating for orphans.  Like Johnny and so many others I have talked to in the last couple of years, I have been a Christ-follower for many years, but the Bible’s clear call to care for the orphan (and others who are “voiceless”) was somehow hidden to me until the Lord opened my mind to their hopelessness and to my responsibility.

God has begun a movement toward caring the the world’s orphans.  It’s not a new movement but a return to a clear biblical mandate.  Thus far, it is a movement largely unpolluted by denominational lines.  But it is also a movement that is far too small.  As Johnny Carr has consistently taught, there are things that everyone can do, things many can do, and things few will do.

Hope is a powerful motivator.  But so is hopelessness, in a negative way.  Can you put yourself in the place of a hopeless child?  What will you do as a result?  At the very least, will you commit to educating yourself on the needs of at-risk children?  And to pray for God to show you what you should do?  Click on a few of the links in this blog to get started.

Thanks for reading.

4theVoiceless,
Al

“Speak up for those who have no voice, for the justice of all who are dispossessed.”  Proverbs 31:8 (HCSB)

2 comments:

  1. As a new comer to the faith & a growing disciple being a Christ-follower ... I've often wondered in what direction the Lord will lead me to serve. Could it be with this cause ? I'm in continual prayer that I'm given the direction that God wants to use my life history & story to serve in a positive & productive way. As long as it's for HIS glory ... doesn't matter what and / or where it is. My " hope " is the day will come when my prayer is answered & I can continue my journey along the right road.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to your new life in Christ! I can't tell you whether or not this will be a primary ministry in your life, but I can tell you that it is the church's responsibility to care for orphans -- not the church building or the corporate church but the people that make up the church; everybody can do something. Here are a couple of past blog posts that I hope will be helpful to you:
    http://chc4thevoiceless.blogspot.com/2012/07/4-reflections-of-gods-care-for-orphans.html
    http://chc4thevoiceless.blogspot.com/2012/07/that-moment-when-word-changes-you.html
    Thanks for engaging in the conversation!

    ReplyDelete