Friday, June 7, 2013

Interviews With Ashton: That's a Wrap


Today, I will wrap up my interview with my daughter Ashton about her recent trip to Russia to minister to orphans there alongside Russian college students with a few random questions and answers that I didn't want you to miss:

A happy little boy -- at least for the moment.
On the Angry Little Boy from yesterday's post:
"I would have adopted that little boy in a heartbeat if I could."

On the type of kids that she was most often attracted to at the orphanages and transition homes:
"It was a little boy that was angry with the world -- every time.  I connected with them -- every time." 




What a cool playground

Nina's ukulele -- a big hit!
On the orphans in general:
"It was hard to see some of the hurt in their eyes." 

On the relationship between the caregivers and the orphans in their care:
"It wasn't personal between the kids and the workers at all.  For the ones (team members) who could talk to the kids, the kids would open up to them in a heartbeat."

On imagining what it's like to go through life when there is no one to listen:
"That's what was killing me; I wanted to listen, but I couldn't.  I hated that.  That was the worst part."  (Loretta and I gave Ashton a Russian language program for her graduation present.  She has said she wants to start learning Russian as soon as she can.  If you know her, ask her how that's going when you see her.)

On worship in the church where the team visited:
"It was the WAY they worshiped.  There was this one guy -- all he had was a tambourine.  If he had been the only one on stage, he could have led the whole congregation in worship.  He just worshiped, and he didn't care who was watching.  He was all-out, and he just had a tambourine.  He wasn't singing -- nothing -- he just had a tambourine.  The whole band was like that.  So when I looked out over the congregation, the whole congregation was worshiping.  That's a huge thing."

I hope you have enjoyed joining my dialogue with Ashton.  I have certainly enjoyed bringing you glimpses of one 18-year-old young lady's first first big step into James 1:27.  Into Proverbs 31:8 -- for the voiceless. 

Thanks for reading.  And thanks for over 10,000 page views over the last 13 months!

4theVoiceless,
Al

Previous conversations:
"To Russian With . . . Hesitation?"
"Interviews With Ashton: Russia Meets Father of the Bride"
"Interviews With Ashton: Graduation & I'm Going To Be a Millionaire"
"Interviews With Ashton: An Angry Little Boy"

No comments:

Post a Comment